VKHUTEMAS – Textile Faculty
Deans: S. Molchanov (1920-1928), P. Victorov (1928-1930).
Like other production faculties, the textile faculty grew out of the workshops of the 1st Free State Art Studios. Repeating the specialization of Stroganov’s workshops, at first the faculty had three departments: weaving, stuffing and embroidery; in 1923-1926 – stuffing and weaving, in 1926 knitwear was added to them. The old material base – manual and mechanical weaving machines – was also preserved. Tutors were mainly textile practitioners who tried to bring textile production to a new level and equip students with theoretical and historical knowledge. The evolution of the faculty was clearly in the line of survival of handicraft work and the transition to training students in machine production technology. New technologies such as airbrushing appeared. Practice on factory equipment was widely used. The aim of the faculty was to train artists-technologists, equally proficient in both art and creativity, and production realization of ideas.
Stepanova introduced a functionalist approach at the faculty – the idea of linking textile design with the form and purpose of the outfit. The understanding of the importance of artistic renewal of the textile industry was also shared by the last dean of the faculty, Viktorov, a chemist-technologist by profession.
In the late 1920s, at the time of strengthening propaganda tendencies in art, students of VKHUTEIN willingly created thematic, propaganda drawings for household textiles. Good training in composition, color and knowledge of technological conditions of realization gave interesting results in this new field of creativity.
Tutors: I. Averintsev, Viktorov, O. Gryun, L. Mayakovskaya, S. Molchanov, N. Poluyektova, N. Sobolev, M. Tikhomirov. At the invitation of Kuprin, who headed the department of composition, in different editions the course of composition was read: Istomin, Stepanova, Favorsky and Sterenberg; N. Lamanova led the subject “Application of fabrics to the costume”. Drawing was taught by Gerasimov.
The total number of graduates is 111 textile engineers.
(On the materials of the article by N. Adaskina VKHUTEMAS-VKHUTEIN // Encyclopedia of Russian Avant-garde Fine Art Architecture, Volume III History. Theory, Book 1. – P.102-111).